Point Foundation empowers promising lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer students to achieve their full academic and leadership potential – despite the obstacles often put before them – to make a significant impact on society.
Reporting to the Chief Development Officer, the Marketing and Communications Manager is responsible for managing an omnichannel marketing and communications approach which includes website, social media, and traditional and non-traditional press. The manager will create, update, and ensure brand alignment for internal and external online and print materials. This person will be responsible for reactive and proactive media relations.
Reports to: Chief Development Officer
Status: Full-time, Administrative Exempt
Supervises: Manage one digital media consultant and outside graphic designers
Location: New York or Los Angeles
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
General Marketing & Communications
- Ensure that Point Foundation has a strong, consistent corporate identity and frame all activities within the Foundation’s mission and vision. Ensure consistency of all internal and external documents (i.e. Letterhead, email formats, general design).
- Collaborate with development and programs staff to execute marketing and communications plans to promote Point programs and fundraising efforts
- Collaborate with development colleagues to maintain communications and marketing editorial calendar for web, email, and social media
- Organize, update and manage Point’s digital asset and story content library
- Contribute to corporate/partner engagement content development in collaboration with key development and program staff
- Participate in Marketing and Communications Committee of the Board of Directors
Media & Public Relations
- With CDO, manage a strategic plan for media relations
- Pitch and coordinate media placements and interviews to promote Point’s thought leadership in higher education
- Manage public relations consultants for events and other special projects
- Manage press and red carpet for Point events
- Create and update media contact lists, monitor media coverage or Point Foundation, Point events and Point Scholars and Alumni
Website, Email, and Social Media Management
- Manage website content: update time sensitive information, write and edit content, evaluate and optimize SEO performance.
- Support email marketing efforts, including developing content and writing e-newsletters, updates and other outreach
- Manage Google Ads, Google Adwords and paid online advertising
- Manage all aspects of Point’s social media presence (LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube)
- Oversee strategy to increase daily engagement on Point social media accounts
- Lead content creation for Point’s Social Media, including written and graphics content, tweets, posts & videos
- Increase awareness for Point scholarship applications, fundraising campaigns and events through regular and promoted posts and advertising
Data & Analytics
- Monitor, report and present on online engagement analytics (web, email, social media, Google Ads, AdWords, and earned media)
- Leverage key engagement metrics across platforms to optimize content, messaging and distributions
- 3-5 years of relevant professional experience in communications and/or marketing, preferably in a nonprofit organization
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in a related field, such as journalism, public relations or communications
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (candidates selected to interview will be required to complete written performance exercise)
- Strong attention to detail and proofreading skills
- Proven results in implementing marketing and communications strategic plans
- Proven results in managing social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, LinkedIn, etc.) and analytics technologies (Sprout Social, Later, Tweetreach, Meltwater, etc.) to engage a diverse audience
- Working knowledge of CMS platforms and basic HTML (WordPress, etc.), and graphics programs such as Canva, InDesign, and Photoshop
- Demonstrated ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously while managing deadlines
- Specialized experience, a plus –for example, working with an organization on a national scale
- Passion for supporting LGBTQ young people and higher education initiatives
- Constituent focused
- Energy and enthusiasm
- Collaborative approach
- Persistence/tenacity – not giving up
- Awareness of politics
- Able to work independently and with a team
- Willing to have a “roll up the sleeves” team player attitude
- Setting clear and fair goals
- Positive “can-do” attitude
- Managing time well
- Initiative/exhibiting a strong desire to achieve
- Able to manage multiple deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated creativity, resourcefulness and flexibility
The purpose of this job description is to provide an overview of the scope of the position. This is not a comprehensive list of duties/responsibilities.
To apply: Please submit a cover letter and a resume. Please use your cover letter as an opportunity to let us know why you would like to join our team at Point Foundation and why you are interested in this position.
Point Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to having the rich diversity of our community reflected in our workforce.
It is the policy of Point Foundation to provide equal membership, employment, and service opportunities to all eligible persons without regard to race, religion, color, creed, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, age, sex, marital status, parental status, physical ability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, membership in any labor organization, political ideology/affiliation, and; for employment only, height, weight, and record of arrest without conviction, disability of an otherwise qualified individual, or any other legally protected basis, to the fullest extent provided by applicable federal, state, and local law. This policy applies to employment, internal promotions, training, opportunities for advancement, terminations, relationships with outside vendors and customers, use of contractors and consultants and in dealing with the public.